Prep Time: 4 Hours
Cook Time: 45 Minutes
Total Time: 285 Minutes
FOR THE STEAK:
1. Combine the beer, onion, soy sauce, honey, rosemary, garlic, and Worcestershire sauce in a large resealable plastic bag.
2. Season the steaks with salt and pepper and then submerge in the marinade. Refrigerate for least 4 hours and up to 12 hours.
3. About 30 minutes before you are ready to cook the steaks, remove them from the fridge and the marinade and pat dry. Pour the marinade into a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer for 20 minutes, until reduced and thickened.
FOR THE SANDWICHES:
4. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Heat a large skillet over high heat and add the olive oil.
5. Add the steaks and sear for 2 minutes per side.
6. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until a meat thermometer reads 130°F for medium-rare, about 5 minutes. Remove the steaks from the skillet, tent with foil, and allow to rest for at least 10 minutes before thinly slicing.
7. To the same skillet, add the peppers and onions. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and cook until soft and beginning to caramelize, about 15 minutes. Keep warm until you are ready to serve.
FOR THE AIOLI:
8. Place the egg yolks in a medium measuring cup. Add the garlic and lemon juice. Whisk together with a fork.
9. Then, slowly pour the oil on top of the yolk mixture. The oil should look separated from the other ingredients.
10. Insert the stick blender into the cup and push all the way down to the bottom. Turn on the blender and VERY SLOWLY bring the blender up to the top; the mixture will thicken as you go.
11. Move the blender up and down through the mixture a couple times.
12. Whisk in the mustards last and season with salt and pepper. Set aside until ready to serve.
If you don’t want to use raw egg yolk, stir the mustards into 1/2 cup of store-bought mayo instead.
13. Spread the aioli on the split rolls and top with the sliced steak and a drizzle of the reduced marinade.
14. Top with the peppers and onions. Top with cheese and other roll half.
15. Place in a warm oven for 5-10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and everything is warmed through. Serve immediately.