Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Total Time: 40 Minutes
HOT TIPS FROM SBW:
Save time and make the SBW Burger Sauce the night before.
Cook the Onion Cheese Melt first and keep the pan covered in foil to keep warm until the burgers are done.
Save the jalapeno frying for last so that they are warm and delicious on top. Use the same recipe for thin sliced onions instead of jalapenos if you don’t like it spicy.
Spread mayonnaise on the inside of the buns and place them directly on the grill to char. Brush butter lightly on the outside of the brioche bun tops to give that buttery shimmer and delicious taste.
1. Pre-heat grill to at least 350F. If using charcoal, make sure your coals begin to form a light ash and provide even heat across entire cooking grid.
2. Combine the two pounds of ground beef into a bowl. Add Dijon mustard, seasoning, and liquid amino. Mix with your hands until seasoning is evenly combined. Create a log shape and slice or separate 8 even pieces and roll into large meatballs.
3. Place the meatballs between two pieces of wax paper and shape with hands or use a roller to thin out the hamburger patty. Make it as thin as you can.
4. Grill the patties over medium heat and season just a little more on the top. Top each patty with sliced havarti cheese when the burger reaches an internal temp of 150F. Grill patties over medium, ash-covered coals until they reach 160F internal temperature and cheese is melted.
5. The burger patties can rest off the grill for 5-10 minutes before serving.
6. Grill bacon directly on grill until slightly crisp and set aside covered to keep warm.
SBW BURGER SAUCE:
7. Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix completely.
8. Can be made up to two days in advance. Store a sealed container in the refrigerator.
ONION CHEESE MELT:
9. Using a Yorkshire pudding pan, a muffin “top” pan or simply stack in a circular shape on a baking sheet, lightly butter or use cooking spray on the pan to keep from sticking
10. Place thin sliced sweet onions down first. Add the pickle chips and then the sundried tomatoes. Sprinkle to coat with cheese.
11. Place the pan on the hot grill grates until the cheese melts and is bubbling. Continue cooking until the cheese edges are as crisp as you'd like. Set aside to cool slightly. These cheese melts will add texture and flavor to your burger. (They also make a great low carb snack!)
BEER BATTERED JALAPENOS:
12. Pour flour into a bowl. Toss jalapeno slices into the flour until coated, remove and set aside.
13. Add the baking powder to flour and whisk to combine. Add the egg and beer, mix gently until combined to a smooth batter. Add jalapeños to batter and coat thoroughly.
14. Carefully place battered jalapeños in hot oil, cook for 2-3 minutes per side until they have a nice golden brown color. Remove from frying oil with a fork or slotted spoon and place on a plate with a paper towel to capture extra oil. Set aside.
BUILD YOUR BURGER:
15. Assemble burger by smearing SBW Sauce on bottom bun. Pile arugula leaves, top with first patty, Onion Cheese Melt, then second burger patty. Place 2 slices of bacon and four Beer Battered Jalapenos on top. Drizzle with more SBW Sauce and top with bun.
Here's to a burger that will certainly make the crowd stand up and cheer!
Recipe credit: Misty Banchero