Baked Pork Chops with Bourbon Glaze


  • 4 Meyer Heritage Duroc Boneless Pork Chops (thick cut, around 1 1/2 inches thick)
  • 1 1/2 tbsps Vegetable oil
  • 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp Black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp Smoked paprika
  • 1/2 tsp Dried thyme
  • BRINE:
  • 1 qt Warm water
  • 3 tbsps Kosher salt
  • 2 Fresh rosemary (sprigs, optional)
  • 1/4 cup Bourbon
  • 2 tbsps Reduced sodium soy sauce
  • 4 tbsps Light brown sugar (packed)
  • 2 tbsps Apple cider vinegar
  • 4 cloves Garlic (minced or grated)
  • 1 tsp Fresh ginger (grated)
  • Cayenne pepper (pinch, to taste)
  • 1/2 tbsp Cornstarch
  • 1 tbsp Water


1. Combine all brine ingredients in a large resealable plastic bag (I used a gallon size), or large airtight container. Whisk until combined well. Add pork chops to brine, seal bag or container and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes, or up to 8 hours.

2. When using a bag, I like to place the bag inside a baking dish, so in case the bag leaks, you won't have a giant mess in your refrigerator, it'll be contained in the dish.

3. Add all bourbon glaze ingredients to a small saucepan and bring to a boil over MED heat, stirring occasionally. Once boiling, reduce heat to LOW and simmer for around 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

4. Mix slurry ingredients (cornstarch and water) in a small bowl, then add to bourbon glaze and cook another 1-2 minutes, until thickened.

5. Preheat oven to 375 F degrees. Remove pork from brine, rinse with cold water, and pat very dry. Discard brine.

6. Season with 1/2 tsp EACH salt, pepper, smoked paprika and dried thyme.

7. Add vegetable oil to large oven-safe skillet and heat over MED-HIGH heat. Once pan is hot, add seasoned pork chops and cook, without flipping or moving, for 2-3 minutes.

8. Using tongs, flip pork chops over, and transfer skillet to the preheated oven.

9. Bake 5 minutes, then flip pork chops back over, return to the oven and bake another 4 minutes, until pork is cooked to 145 F degrees (internal temperature).

10. Remove pork chops to a plate and cover loosely with foil. Leave to rest for 5 minutes.