Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
Total Time: 45 Minutes
1. In a small saucepan, combine the water, kosher salt, brown sugar, peppercorns, and bay leaf.
2. Place over a high heat and bring to a boil.
3. Remove from the heat and stir until the salt has dissolved.
4. Add the ice and stir until melted.
5. Place the pork chops in a large zip-top bag.
6. Pour the brine over the pork chops, press to remove any air, and seal the bag.
7. Brine the pork chops at room temperature for at least 30 minutes and up to an hour.
8. Remove the pork from the bag and discard the brine. Remove any peppercorns that may be stuck on the chops.
9. Season the pork chops with pepper. No need for salt as the brine will have provided this.
10. Place a large, heavy skillet over medium high heat.
11. When the skillet just starts to smoke slightly, add the olive oil followed by the pork chops.
12. Sear the pork on one side, about 2 minutes. Flip and sear on the other side, about 2 minutes more.
13. Add the butter, garlic, rosemary, thyme, and sage to the pan.
14. Using a spoon, baste the pork chops with the melted butter.
15. Continue spooning the butter over the chops, herbs, and garlic until the pork chops are cooked through and no longer pink. This will take about 2 more minutes.
16. Transfer the pork chops to a plate and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
17. Serve the pork chops drizzled with the butter and enjoy.